Monday, September 22, 2008

Priority Overnight

About 2 weeks ago I came home after a normal day at work and saw a package sitting on our front porch. I picked it up to see that it was a manilla envelope. Priority Overnight from the Dept of the Army.

Yep, you guessed right.

Mike wasn't home yet so I called to tell him what I just told you and he said "that can't be good" and asked me to open it. Inside was a letter with orders calling him back to active duty, "Operation Iraqi Freedom", for up to 400 days. He reports to duty on 11/2/08 and if he passes the physical with flying colors (he will), he will return to duty at his discharge rank of CPT. We have absolutely no other information.

For those of you that don't know, Mike served in the Army for approximately 4 years. He was in the 82nd Airborne and got out January 2006 to work for UPRR, where he is now.

This news has been quite a shock for us. Obviously when you're active duty you come to expect deployment and orders to move. He's been out for 2.5 years and though the possibility that this could happen has always been in the back of our minds, we never really thought it would happen. You're just not prepared for it.

So if you would all keep Mike in your prayers I would greatly appreciate it. He has no idea yet where he will go or for how long. So I'm hoping for the best. I have to admit that I'm not at all prepared for this. :)

I didn't share sooner because he hadn't had time to get the information to the appropriate people yet. I was a mess for the first few days and now am just hopeful.

1 comment:

MDAC said...

sylvia,

I am so sorry to hear the news that Mike will be going back to serve. My prayers will be with him as he serves our country... in such a noble, couragous, and self sacrificing way. My prayers will also be with you as you face time apart from him. My heart goes out to you.