Friday, October 9, 2009

FISH!

I woke up one morning, about a month ago, and it was brought to my attention that I needed to check out my aquarium. The entire back wall was covered in a cloud. I immediately assumed it was parasites and thought my tank was infected. THEN I quickly realized....they were babies. I have Texas Cichlids in a 55 gallon tank, and they made LOTS of babies. So I did some research and read that they lay 500-1000 eggs!! HOLY MOLY!! Well it sure looked like it.

Fast forward 1 month.

They're nesting again!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm like, NO WAY,right? So, I looked up information and couldn't find ANYTHING that said they could breed that often and that quickly.

Tonight I was trying to see if I could find the eggs just to confirm that they actually are nesting again. AND, I did. I found eggs. LOTS of them. *sigh*

Seriously. What the heck are we gonna do with 500-1000 eggs when we already have 100-200 babies in the tank!!!! I already have a deal with the pet store owner, and he only wants to buy 5-10 of them. That was before I even realized there were more coming!

So here's a few pictures. You can see the eggs and the new babies. There's a picture that gives you an idea how big the babies are now compared to the momma. The last picture is just to show you the coloring on mom and dad. They're both the same breed of fish and usually look identical. They get a lot darker when they're protecting their territory. The mom is black and white, the dad will turn black and white when the eggs hatch.

Anyone want a few fish???? :)








1 comment:

MDAC said...

may i suggest craigs list or freecycle