Saturday, November 26, 2011

Turkey Stock

I just made my first batch ever of stock. Super exciting!! I think I will be making my own stock often from now on, it's so super easy and it smells good. Not to mention that it's obviously healthier and why not put all the scraps to good use before throwing it out! And since I was going to all that trouble, I just went ahead and pulled all the scraps off the bones and the lucky dogs got a super Thanksgiving too!

I figured this was the best time to give it a shot since the bones have already been roasted along with the turkey and there are SO many scraps leftover from meat & veggies.

I was told basically how to make it, by a friend, but I still googled it. It's all the same, pretty basic, nothing super picky with measurements.

In case you're interested, this is what I ended up doing:

Turkey Stock

1 carcass (& and all scraps)
2 medium onions
3 ribs of celery (leaves & ends included)
1.5-2 cups of carrots (peels & ends)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp sea salt
dash of pepper

I chopped all the veggies into big chunks and threw everything in the pot. I had to break up the carcass to get it all to fit in the pot. Filled it with water until everything was covered, only an inch or 2 beneath the top. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover & simmer for 3 hours.

I read somewhere that after you've strained all the chunks, throw the broth in the fridge overnight. In the morning the fat will have solidified and you can easily remove the fat then.

turned out pretty yummy for stock.

I plan on making some soup with this and leftovers tomorrow, we shall see how it turns out!

No comments: